Please consider ATA Strike Fund Contribution
Despite achieving a contract settlement better than the imposition's cuts, many Alpine teachers still face difficult financial hardship. All teachers lost pay for the three strike days, and those on the family health insurance plan will be hit hard by remaining cuts.
Please consider donating to the Alpine TA Strike Fund: 5333 Mission Center Road, San Diego, CA 92108.
Or you can make an online donation via PayPal .
Alpine Teachers Approve New Contract
Alpine Teachers Association members approved a new contract with the Alpine Union School District by a 96 percent margin, immediately returning to their classes Tuesday morning, February 25, ending their three-day strike over significant cuts in salary and health benefits.
Compared to the district imposition of a 7.58 percent salary cut and an $8,000 cap on health care benefits, details of the new settlement include:
- Two percent salary re¬storation, effective April 1, 2014
- Health care benefit restoration of $1,500, effective January 1, 2014, resulting in a $9,500 cap
- Two percent salary restoration effective July 1, 2014, contingent upon receipt of 28.05% “gap funding” from the state for 2014-2015
- A built in salary increase, based on Governor Brown’s budget and “gap funding”
- One-time stipend equivalent to .56 percent each day for two days of Common Core staff development in 2014-2015
- Six furlough days in 2013-2014 and seven in 2014-2015
- $8,000 retirement incentive.
“We are very relieved to return to our classrooms to work with our students,” said ATA President Gayle Malone. “Teachers offered cuts all along, but we had to stand up to keep them from being devastating. We believe this settlement, though still painful, can serve as a basis toward a more harmonious relationship with the district, especially as new funding comes in the next few years, to hopefully alleviate Alpine’s fiscal difficulties.”
Contribute to the ATA Strike Relief Fund
Join the many supporters of Alpine Teachers by contributing to the strike relief funds. You can send contributions to: Alpine Strike Fund, 5333 Mission Center Road, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92108